Thursday, May 08, 2008

Seven Days Later

Just about 37 minutes shy, to the week, since the last post and things are moving along swimmingly. Perhaps if it was rough seas, a mangrove swamp, or oatmeal you're swimming in.

Actually, it hasn't been that bad. It's just taking me a lot longer than I had hoped to clean out the residual clutter from my apartment. I made stops on my way home last night and tonight - and plan on another one tomorrow night - to pick up a bunch of stuff. Luckily (although, I'm paying for it), I have until 20 May to "git outta Dodge" for good. It's also a huge benefit that my old apartment is pretty much on my way from work to 'the house'.

A big concern I have is ditching the three air conditioner units at the old place. Once again, timing is everything in that Saturday is Norwood's Spring Hazardous Waste drop-off day. The new house has central a/c so I won't be needing them - and I sure as heck don't want them sitting uselessly in my basement to deal with later. As luck would have it, I spoke with my landlord today and he has offered to take them there for me (along with a broken down gas grill and, possibly, an old computer monitor or two). That will be a huge help.

For my efforts, I managed to unpack the majority of my kitchen stuff tonight. Only one large box of pots and pans to go and that room is done. The unpacking, that is. I wiped clean the cabinets and put most of what I unpacked away - but I'm not sold on the placement. Hey, at least it's out of the way for now. I'll do some re-arranging later when I get a better feel for the flow of the kitchen.

One thing I realized (as I was packing, actually) is that I have loads of packing paper to dispose of. I wish I could recycle it - but it's more likely that it'll end up as simple trash out on the curb. I still don't know what the deal is with trash pick-up in these parts. Guess I better call Town Hall and find out. Add it to the to-do list, I suppose.

<------------------------------------------------->

(Nerd Alert!)

I'm not sure what has compelled me to do so but I've created a spreadsheet to track all my home improvement and repair investments. Probably the excitement of owning a property as opposed to renting. Maybe I'll classify it as equity? Anyhow, I'm going to give it a go. It's possible that by the end of the summer I'll be so depressed with how much I've spent that it gets binned... but maybe not. It should be an interesting document if I keep it up. Looking back on the good ol' days. Nostalgia and that.

Here's what I've got so far :

May 2008
...May 01, 2008 - Shower Curtain/Rod - Home Depot - $23.19
...May 03, 2008 - Mailbox and Post - Home Depot - $99.69
May 2008 Total - $122.88

Fascinating, I know. You don't have to tell me twice. I'm a programmer. I live for nerdy shit like this.

<------------------------------------------------->

After a full week in the new digs (and no strangers a-comin' and a-goin') the kitty is definitely feeling much better about things. She's been wandering about and enjoying the many ground-level windows. Although she hasn't spent much time there, as I can tell, I think the French doors in the mud room out to the back will eventually become a favourite spot. Those windows are really at her level.

She did enjoy the bay window for a spell earlier this evening. Here's the evidence to prove it :

Spinny on the Lookout

Spinny - What You Want?

Those windows, by the way, are currently painted shut. The home inspector told me a metal spatula would do the trick. Tried it. No luck. The spatula's edge (which I bought specifically for this purpose - oo! I should add that to the spreadsheet) was too rounded for the job. Another item for the to-do list.

Anyhow, she's been great. Still eating like there's no tomorrow but she seems happy. By this point, she probably has no idea she's ever lived anywhere else. Not true, I know - but she may as well. It'll definitely be the last place she ever inhabits. It's science.

<------------------------------------------------->

Just for kicks, my bathroom sink - all 'arted' up in sepia tone. The masses are clamoring for house pics. Okay, one person asked. It's fun for me, though, so I'll happily oblige. Wait 'til you see my mailbox post. The Before and After pics will astound you!

Not Quite the Kitchen Sink but Close

Until next time. Viszlát !

No comments: