Thursday, May 01, 2008

Success at Last

Unbelievably, everything has finally fallen into place. As I type this, I'm sitting in my new living room, in my new house, watching the Red Sox game on my new TiVo-enhanced digital cable system. Unbelievable.

Looking back on my previous posts, it was Monday 3 March when I first saw this house and put an offer on it later that evening. Here I am, 59 days later, settling in. It's freaky.

I won't bore you with the details of the frustration that went along with acquiring my loan. Suffice to say, there were a few things - one in particular - that were nothing short of maddening. That one thing had to do with satisfying the bank's requirement of ensuring that there was no 'structural damage' due to wood-boring insects (in this case, the mighty termite).

The crux of the issue was the bank needed proof that there had been no structural damage, yet they could not tell me, precisely, what form that proof should take. I'll keep it short and sweet and just note that it was all worked out. Albeit, literally, at the last possible moment but it was done.

I have to note that my loan was an FHA (Federal Housing Athourity, I think) backed loan - aka 'the Government'. So, I understand the added insurance they require to prove the house isn't about to crumble to dust. Additionally, it's an advantage to those who don't have alot of capital to put in for a down payment. Which is my situation. So, all in all, it really wasn't too bad. Just a bit of a distraction and point of frustration at some times - but as I sit here now, it's clear it was all well worth it.

Aside from that, I am amazed - pleasantly amazed - at how well everything has gone since the loan was approved.

The closing was scheduled for yesterday (30 April) and I hired a moving company to move me in today (1 May). Both events were executed brilliantly. Props to a friend who works for Gentle Giant Moving for hooking me up with a great experience. The three guys were in my old place at 9:30 a.m. and were finished unloading at my new place by 2:30 p.m. Excellent job. They left me with a customer service survey to fill out which is usually something I unceremoniously toss straight in the bin. This one, I'll be happy to fill out and submit. Now it's up to me to unpack everything and find a place for it all.

Another amazing event occurred when I called Comcast yesterday. Yes, Comcast. I spoke with a service representative, explained when I was moving, and where from, and he set me up with a relocation installation today. They had a local installation availability today between 2:00 and 5:00 p.m. Perfect.

So, what happens? No - the technician did not show up at 4:45. He showed at 2:30. Literally as the Giant guys were hopping in the truck ready to pull away. He was here for about an hour and 45 minutes and when he left, my TiVo-DVR-Digital cable, internet, and brand new phone number were all up and running.

And here I am, about five hours later (after a trip back to the apartment, my first - of many, I'm sure - stop at Home Depot, and a well-needed shower), posting this fascinating story for your pleasure.

You don't need to say it; I know you're reading this slack-jawed with awe.

<------------------------------------------------>

Outside of all that, the other wild card in the process is Spinny, my cat. She's an ol' vet at 14 (and having moved no less than four times before she was five) but after 9.5 years at the old place, I was curious to see how she'd adjust.

The morning, and afternoon for that matter, were pretty rough. Quarantined in this room or that for periods of time, I could hear her mews of protest, anxiety, and nervousness. So, like females are wont to do in times of anxiety - she ate. I don't think I've ever seen her eat as much - or as often - as she did today.

Alas, she seems content, as she's currently reposing in the armchair across from me taking a late bath.

P1010200

At first, she was unsure of her surroundings. I know this because her first few spots visited were the corners of closets in various rooms. However, once I returned from my late afternoon errands, she began to explore a bit more. She seems comfortable now - as a wily vet would - and it appears she'll be back to her old self in short order.

<------------------------------------------------>

Lastly, there's one glaring issue with my new home. There are no window treatments to speak of anywhere in the house. So, for the time being, I'll have to curtail my nightly ritual of the nude security check. No prancing from room to room, unclad, as I check that everything is in order. At least until I get some window shades.

So there it is. 59 days, start to finish. Unbelievable.

3 comments:

March2theSea said...

awesome news..congrats! I have had STUNNING efforts from Comcast the last two times they came to my place. the last time they said "between 10 and 2?" and they were there at 9;55. SORRY WE ARE EARLY..whatever..get in HERE!!!

again..congrats on the new pad..now get the podcast rolling agaiN!

Anonymous said...

entertaining read ... buuuuuut - what's this?

"So, like females are wont to do in times of anxiety - she ate." Geez "Champ" - I almost expected to see "and that's a scientific fact" follow! ;) ha!

Nice to see the zoftig Spinny settle in - I hope you post more pictures soon!

Congrats :)

Viszlát Sjáumst said...

march / Thank you son! It's about time for me, I'd say. As for Comcast, I still think they charge way too much but the 3-product package works for me right now. And regarding the podcast - I'll work on it.

bjm / Thank you! I looked it up in the journal Nature and you're right. It is a scientific fact.

Spinny's already at home, knockin' stuff off tables and that.

I'll definitely post more pics soon (like tonight).